Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Waste of Time

How much of our time can we really label as "constructive"? It seems that everyone I know, including myself, are always talking about how busy life is. I can't speak on behalf of others in my life who constantly complain of a lack of time, but from looking at myself, I suspect all of us actually have more time than we know or want to admit to.
Much of my time-problem has to do with me. When I get up in the morning, I have to keep a check on not doing anything else other than what I've already committed my morning to. I decided long ago that I was going to give my mornings to reading the scripture, hearing God, speaking to God, journaling about my faith journey, and anything else possible to building spiritual muscle. Doing so gives me perspective on my day and helps keep on track with those things that are important. I know this, but it's amazing how easily that can go if I talk myself into doing something else "real quick." For example, I may turn on the tv or search the internet "real quick" just to check the weather or check on one item of news "real quick" and before I know it, I've read about 6 or 7 news websites, checked all my e-mail, wrote a few comments on facebook, and started working on church-related or school-related items for the day.
There are many times during the day, I could easily head over to the Y and work-out. Doing so is relaxing, energizing, and can add more hours to my day. Instead, I get caught up in getting work done that can wait and wears me down. Incidentally, that neglect of my physical health doesn't add any more time to my day and there is always more stuff to get done.
These are just a couple of examples of time-wasters or failure to prioritize. The fact is, I know I can carry my full load of being a husband, being a pastor, and being a student among other things a lot better than I am right now. I just have to learn to give the appropriate amount of attention to certain things, learn to say "no" more than I actually do, understand I can't be everywhere at once, and remind myself that I'm not here in this world to please man, but to play to the audience of One.
The amazing this is, we serve a God who lives outside of time. Time isn't going to matter when we get to heaven. Why are we so constrained by it now?
Again, I can only speak for myself, but I know I can accomplish everything God has placed in my life a lot better than I am now with a lot less stress and wear-and-tear. I wonder if you can do the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. Quite right. As I approach 60 years of age I look at my life - now and in the past. I've wasted a lot of things, such as money and talent. But my waste of time is the most regrettable. We are allotted only so much of it, and we don't know the amount. Each minute gone by is unrecoverable - and yet I never seem to learn the simple lesson of making each hour meaningful by somehow expressing my love for God and for others.

    ReplyDelete